Monday, March 2, 2009

Myra/Dallis In Search of Understanding Blog Post

Introduction:
Making the Case for Constructivism:

Constructivism is the idea that people create their own meaning of new information by relating it to what they already know. It holds that people only retain information, ideas, and experiences that "transform" them or help create new ideas of their own or add on to ones they already have. That creation is called "construction" hence, "Constructivism."

Assumptions of Constructivism:

People only remember "useful" information--that is, "useful" for them in their lives or explain something they are personally curious about.

All people connect information to previous information in order to remember it. In other words, there are no "bits" of information...just a long chain of information that things can link to (or not). That's the visual conceptualization of the human mind in the constructivist perspective--a chain.

Learning and meaning cannot really be measured by most tests or assessments, especially "one-shot" multiple-choice tests. To assess learning, one needs a picture of how information is linked to other information.

Learning is a personal process that should help students do or remember things they want to do or know--even passing tests or doing "well" on homework does not indicate learning if it is not backed up by self-driven performances.


The Role of Teacher:

"In a constructivist classroom, the teacher searches for students' understandings of concepts, and then structures opportunities for students to refine or revise these understandings by posing contradictions, presenting new information, asking questions, encouraging research, and/or engaging students in inquiries designed to challenge current concepts."

Teachers should seek out their student's "points of view," as well as design assignments and activities that challenge students' previous ideas.

Relevance of topics comes from the student--teachers need to find out what that would be and foster personal meaning making.

Teachers distill information into "big ideas" that can be useful to their students, then design activities in which the details will come out. This helps students construct the picture for themselves. Think of it as putting the puzzle pieces around the border of a topic of study, then asking students to fill in the whole picture in the middle. The "big idea" is something to guide the students as they fill in the missing information, perusing a course of activity that interests them.

Teachers embed assessment into every activity, every day.
Students don't need to accumulate millions of facts but need to be able to interpret ideas through what they already know.

The American classroom is dominated by the teacher; students are expected to be receivers, not participants.

Most teachers use the textbook as the primary source of information that is disseminated to students, thus limiting alternative interpretations of information.

Student thinking is discouraged as teachers seek to supply information so that students will see the "right" answer.

School should be a time when students are encouraged to use their natural curiosity and enthusiasm to find meaning that is valuable to them now, not just at some distant point in the future.

Teachers should consider the developmental level of the student in how that student will make meaning from instruction.

The constructivist approach is explained in Chapter Two.

Constructivism:
looks for what students can generate, demonstrate, and exhibit
emphasizes big concepts
values student questions
relies on primary sources of data and manipulative materials
views students as thinkers with emerging theories about the world
allows teachers to behave in an interactive manner
seeks the students' points of view to see what students' ideas currently are
interweaves assessment with teaching
allows students to work primarily in groups

Constructivism allows students to pursue trails of their own interest and to find truths that are unique to themselves. It also acknowledges that truth is often a matter of interpretation.

Constructivism focuses on the learner, not on the teacher.

Question: Using what we now know of Constructivism, how would you create a Constructivist classroom?

To break down that big question here are some smaller questions or ideas to get you started with your answer:

1) Name a large concept in your discipline.

Example: Introductions and Conclusions frame our spoken ideas, and keep them organized.

From here, different things can happen:

2a) Think of an example of the "big idea" that is active in their students lives.

Example: Students often tell stories at lunch...ask them to think about how the stories begin and end.

2b) As they think, you may go over some explanation of the "big idea."

Example: Introductions get attention, and tell the intention of the story (humorous, informational, to garner sympathy, etc). They might also preview the major phases of the story or "plot points."

2c) Once students have thought of something that is relevant to them, have them share or further develop their idea and have them draw parallels.

Examples: Once students have the basic explanation of the introduction, have a student tell a story they recently told a friend and share it with the class. More likely than not, they'll preview their ideas before they explain them fully in the body, and summarize what they said before they conclude. These basic functions are "introductions and conclusions," respectively.

Ask listening students to listen for examples of how the student applies the principles of introductions and conclusion to share once story is over. This hopefully shows students that introductions and conclusions are something we use all the time--whether we think about it or not.

2d) Ask students to apply this knowledge in their own way by having them select their own activity.

Example: Some students may watch some sample speeches that you have previewed and had particularly good and bad introductions--students sort for themselves which are good and bad and emulate which ones they thought were good. Naturally, they'll discover Introductions and Conclusions gain attention, preview/review major ideas, and unveil/remind the audience of the main idea of the speech, making it seem sincere and organized.

3) Think of how you can evaluate each stage of the process as it is happening.
Example: You may notice that at each stage of the process, I ask for student participation and sharing--it is often on this basis teachers will assess the progress of their students. The only thing I take a grade on, however, is how they apply what they know in a real speech, preferably in both a format and on a topic that is interesting AND CHALLENGING for them.

17 comments:

  1. Using what we now know of Constructivism, how would you create a Constructivist classroom?

    Hmmm... How would I create a constructivist Spanish classroom? I would ask the students questions to see what they know about a particular topic. Let us pick farm animals. I can ask them what they know about farm animals, which ones live there, what sounds they make, etc. Then, we can learn the Spanish words for these animals. As we do so, the assessment will be me informally watching the students to see who can and cannot pick up on the vocabulary words. We will play games in which the students pretend to be the farm animals. We will sing songs about "Senor McDonald" and his farm. The kids will have fun as they are learning. Did I correctly interpret the constructivist approach to learning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I do that I think applies is ... I pretest students to gain an understanding of what they currently understand about the particular subject matter. I am then better able to create lessons and projects that fit their level of understanding and readiness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, I think the lesson you described hits many of the points for Constructivism. Obviously, when a person is learning a new language, he may not be able to "fill in" the missing information for a while. To me, this lesson is providing the basic outline for later work within the language. I also think some subjects would lend themselves more readily to Constructivism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also teach Spanish. We generally begin a vocab section by discussing that particular subject. For example, for a unit on outdoor activities we began by discussing camping. Each student has his/her own camping experiences to share with the class. Students then create a story book using the vocab telling an imaginary story about outdoors activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...it seems that a lot of what we are talking about is called "Scaffolding." From what I understand about it, it's a Vygotskian pedagogical approach in which content is kept within a "just right" zone where students need help or mediation by the instructor, but no be dependent on them or simply unable to proceed even with mediation (nor would they be able to do the task independently all by themselves).

    Constructivism would very much, I believe, embrace this method of pedagogy because it is student centered and would therefore "like" the idea of pre-testing. However, I also believe that Constructivism is more than that. It's not just about keeping them in a challenging zone that's not too difficult to master, but also learning their personal needs for the material. Using Spanish as an example, a constructivist pre-test would ask students "Why are you taking Spanish?" Or more specifically, because it is most likely a required subject "What do you hope to be able to do as a result of taking Spanish? Is there anything about Spanish you are particularly interested in?" Just as example questions.

    Then based, on their response you would make a lesson. For example, students might say "I want to learn how to tell stories to others in Spanish." Then you know your lesson on outdoor storytelling would be good--and you could use pretesting to make sure the vocabulary and grammar for the story-telling isn't too far beyond their capabilities or too easy for them. Another section of the class might say they are interested in animals...and then teaching them Spanish words for animals would be a sure fire lesson for that group of students...or you could do one and then the other as the semester goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having a hard time with this one since I'm not in the classroom yet. I'm wondering if my icebreaker activity would be considered constructivist. By assigning the students to pairs and instructing them to create newspapers about each other, I would be assessing their prior knowledge of several different journalistic concepts (interviewing, writing, editing, digital photography, design and technology) without giving them any type of written test or assessment. I think I would be hitting the following points of constructivism: looks for what students can generate, demonstrate, and exhibit; emphasizes big concepts; values student questions; allows teachers to behave in an interactive manner; seeks the students' points of view to see what students' ideas currently are; interweaves assessment with teaching; allows students to work primarily in groups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dusty,

    In response to your post, I like the idea of pretesting your students. For my student teaching we were to create a unit where we had to pre-test the students. I had only done this one previous time and found it to be very useful. I created a lot of information for my students and came to find out a lot of them already knew this info. I went back and changed a lot of my PowerPoint slides and handouts to fit what they students needed to learn.

    -Nick

    ReplyDelete
  8. In response to this groups question, I feel that a lot of the ideas presented in this blog represent the technology education classroom. In my class we do a lot of group work that focus on big ideas then break them into smaller ideas. Several of my projects allow students to get into the activity deeper if they are interested into it. A lot of the time they are creating projects that interest them. For example screen printing a shirt that has a picture of their favorite band or sports team. They are creating something they can take home and it interests them. They want to make it look as good as they possibly can so they become interested in the process to making the shirt.

    -Nick

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I teach the Constitution and the Bill of Rights to my 8th graders I invite our school resource officer to our classroom to explain what the Bill of Rights means when you are in school and how your age helps determine what rights you have. This lesson occurs after we have discussed the first 10 amendments to the Constitution and student discuss what those mean in their own words. After the officer visits our classroom I again ask them to put the amendmetns into their own words and descibe which is most important to them. They are constructing their own meaning by doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently did a unit on entrepreneurship and I had students work in groups. They had to come up with a business that they would like to start based on the interests that they personally had. When everyone had made a list of their interests they had to decide as a group on one interest for a business. As we continued talking about marketing they had to come up with a marketing plan for the business they had selected that would best fit its needs. I really felt that in order to come up with the plan they had to first understand the concepts of marketing. It was a way of assessing their knowledge without having them take a test. It may not be a perfect example but I think it has some characteristics of constructivism.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In Algebra 1, my students just finished studying exponents and their properties, ending with exponential growth and decay. When exploring exponential growth and decay, I really like to bring into examples things students can relate to. This time, after starting out with a rabbit population growth model (which got them all giggling at the new meaning of "multiplying like rabbits"), knowing the students' interests in each class, I was able to cater examples to them. We talked about bank accounts in one class, vehicle depreciation in another, and how drugs like advil get absorbed in your body over time. This unit was finished a week and a half ago. Just today a student asked me, "Mrs. Ekhoff, that exponent equation stuff we went over...is that like what they do in drug testing to see if you've taken too much of a drug?" Now, aside from the concerning roots of this question, I was actually excited that he made the connection between that and exponential decay!! I could make my classroom more of a constructivist one by pretesting each unit, as many have recommended already, but in remedial algebra 1, it is difficult to let student interest drive the unit (because there often isn't much interest in the basics of algebra), which is some of what it seems constructivism is about. Now that we're getting into more of the applications and advanced topics in algebra, real-life examples come into play much more and they become more interested.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To create a constructivist classroom I use the five E’s of inquiry. They are engage, explore, explain, elaborate, and evaluate. During the engaging activities students must connect prior knowledge to new ideas. Exploring in my classroom is normally a hands-on lab or demonstration. Explaining is notes of some form (Cornell, concept webs, T-charts). Elaborate is applying their knowledge to a new situation. Finally, evaluating is students and teacher evaluates what the students have learned. For example, the rock cycle is one of the standards I teach. It is not necessarily the most exciting subject for the students. The first activity the students do is circling where rock is used in a picture of a house. Students miss computers, wiring, and make-up. They then started realizing that rocks are used everywhere and they are important to us. To explore, I have students observe rocks samples (I give the name and what they are used for in real life). They must write down specific observations that we then use to determine what type of rock it is. They also play a dice game that takes them through the stages of the rock cycle. I explain by then determining if the rock is an intrusive or extrusive igneous rock, and so on. To elaborate the students perform a lab where they are the geologist and they have to determine what type of rock samples they have based on certain characteristics. They also write a creative story where they are an igneous rock and they go through four changes in the rock cycle and end up back at an igneous rock. I evaluate throughout, I have a rubric for their creative writing assignment and their geologist lab. I also have a written test.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I teach a new literature text, I try to allow the students to read by themselves as well as read to them. I know this may seem like an elemtary concept, but knowing that most of my kids who read it won't understand it. It's difficult to believe they will read it and understand it the first time. I would always hope they do, but I actually enjoy reading to them. It serves as a spring board for discussion. I get to ask cognitive questions that explore the theme or plot as it develops. Thanks to Agiordano for this one. I like your 5 E's. :) Can I borrow them?

    Anyway, at the end of the literature unit, I provide students a way to present the novel/story the way they understood it. For example, I've just finished up the Great Gatsby with my juniors. I've assigned projects they were to choose. I had a poster, adaptation of Gatsby--children's book--twisted plot story, and a soundtrack. Each project allows the students to pull out something from the text they will remember. I recently told one of my students who completed the soundtrack, that whenever she heard a particular song, she will be forever reminded of how she used it for her project. This cognitive development of the story really gives the students insight to what they had read. Their interpretations of the novel show what is truly being understood.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Erin- I also have to split the task of reading a book to the students aloud while they read other sections of it on their own. You are right in that it allows the teacher to model the proper "literary thought processes" that should be taking place whenever someone reads a book. I definitely ask questions out loud, discuss what sticks out as I read, etc. I think the constructivist approach is easily applicable in an English classroom because students are often given a framework to use and build upon as they write.

    -Heather P.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In my Career Explorations class, I cover numerous career clusters. Of course not every student is interested in every cluster - some students have no interest in health care, or construction, etc. I assure them that it is fine if they can't picture themselves working in a career in a particular cluster, but I always try and make them see the "big picture", or how things relate to life, and the job market as a whole. If they are not interested in working in health care, they will still need to utilize the services in this industry. One of our vocabulary words is co-payment - very relevant to adult life! If they are not interested in business as a career choice, they will still be opening up a checking account, applying for loans, etc.

    I also stress with every cluster, the skills such as problem solving, punctuality, a good work ethic, etc. that employers expect from all employees, no matter what their job is. I stress job related skills with regard to classroom procedures also. If a student is tardy, I compare it to being late on the job. If an assignment is late, ask them to think about what would happen if they didn't meet a deadline at work. Lots of times they tell me "This is school, not my job". Then I remind them that school is preparing them for a productive career in the workforce. I'm sure they get tired of my constant reminders, but I think it does start to sink in eventually, especially toward the end of the year, when many of them begin looking for summer jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I try to use constructivism in my classroom. The challenge seems to be outside influences. When a parent tells their child that "I've never used that in my life", it counteracts the relevance that I may present. Often in upper level math courses, it is difficult to find that location in their previous experiences from which to branch off.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I try to do this as much as possible because I know mine is not a favorite subject of many students. For example when students complain about irregular verbs in Spanish I remind them in English we also have many verbs that don't follow our designated rules. I also allow them to answer questions or fill in prompts with their own experiences when they do speaking activities. I ask about their preferences and their likes and dislikes. They can talk about themselves while practicing their Spanish. I also give them choice when completing projects so they can do something that interests them therefore investing them in their own learning.

    ReplyDelete