Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Art and Science of Teaching by Robert J. Marzano (blog post by Caroline, Erin and Heather P)

Introduction: A Question Answered

Marzano’s introduction starts off with a very interesting fact: “Strange as it may sound to modern-day educators, there was a time in the not too distant past when people questioned the importance of schools and teachers.” He refers to a report from 1966 entitled Equality in Educational Opportunity, also known as the Coleman report after its senior author. The basic findings of the report were that schools and teachers “make little academic difference in the lives of students.” Fortunately, there have been several studies that have refuted these findings. Curriculum, safety and sense of security and, most importantly, the individual teachers in a school are all factors that have surfaced as key components of student academic success.

Marzano outlines three general characteristics of effective teachers within effective schools:

  • Use of effective instructional strategies
  • Use of effective classroom management strategies
  • Effective classroom curriculum design

He also outlines three general characteristics of effective classroom pedagogy:

  • Use of effective instructional strategies
  • Use of effective management strategies
  • Use of effective classroom curriculum design strategies

Marzano notes that it is important to recognize that no one article, book or research study will provide a school or school system with all of the answers to its educational dilemmas. All of these types of resources provide schools and school systems guidance in their quests for change, but it is best for each school or school system to design an individual model of change based upon what is best for it at the time. He ends the introduction with the following ten questions, which are the detailed in the chapters of the book:

  • What will I do to establish and communicate learning goals, track student progress, and celebrate success?
  • What will I do to help students effectively interact with new knowledge?
  • What will I do to help students practice and deepen their understanding of new knowledge?
  • What will I do to help students generate and test hypotheses about new knowledge?
  • What will I do to engage students?
  • What will I do to establish or maintain classroom rules and procedures?
  • What will I do to recognize and acknowledge adherence and lack of adherence to classroom rules and procedures?
  • What will I do to establish and maintain effective relationships with students?
  • What will I do to communicate high expectations for all students?
  • What will I do to develop effective lessons organized into a cohesive unit?

Chapter One: What Will I Do to Establish and Communicate Learning Goals, Track Student Progress, and Celebrate Success?

When considering the first instructional design question—What will I do to establish and communicate learning goals, track student progress, and celebrate success?—teachers should think about three basic elements. First, establishing and communicating learning goals involves distinguishing between learning goals and learning activities and then writing learning goals in a suitable format. Second, tracking student progress involves using formative assessments and a scale designed specifically for formative assessments. It also involves charting student progress on individual learning goals. Third, celebrating success involves recognizing and acknowledging students’ knowledge gains.

Establishing the questions:

1. What will I do to establish and communicate learning goals?

The most basic issue a teacher can consider is what he/she will be doing to establish and communicate learning goals, track student progress, and celebrate success.

For learning to be effective, clear targets in terms of information and skill must be established. This assessment does not occur at the end of a unit only but throughout the unit. Given that each student has made progress in one or more learning goals, the teacher and students can celebrate those successes.

A classroom scenario:

Goal 1: Students will understand the major events leading up to the development of …

Goal 2: Students will understand the major factors involved …

Goal 3: Students will understand the effects …

As goals are established by the teacher, the students then record their own goal for the unit.

For each learning goal, a rubric is created that spells out specific levels of understanding.

As formative information is collected regarding student progress on these goals, students chart their own progress using graphs.

By the end of the unit virtually all students have demonstrated that they have learned, even though everyone does not end up with the same final score. Virtually every student in class has a sense of accomplishment by the unit’s end.

(Figures and charts were represented as summaries in the findings of research.)

Formative assessment is another line of research related to the research on feedback. Teachers administer formative assessments while students are learning new information or new skills. Major reviews of research on the effects of formative assessment indicate that it might be one of the more powerful weapons in a teacher’s arsenal.

Finally, the critical component of this question is the area of research on reinforcing effort and providing recognition for accomplishments. Reinforcing means that students see a direct link in how hard they try and their success at a particular task. Reinforcing effort means that a direct relationship occurs between how hard students work and how much they learn.

2: Tracking Student Progress: What are the Action Steps?

  1. Make a distinction between learning goals and learning activities and assignments.
  2. Write a rubric or scale for each learning goal.
  3. Have students identify their own learning.
  4. Assess students using a formative approach.
  5. Have students chart their progress on each learning goal.
  6. Recognize and celebrate growth.

3. Celebrating Success: How do I know if students have achieved a learning goal?

The question to this is simple. If they have progressed at all in any area, whether by points or understanding, they have learned and succeeded. There is a fine line between celebrating success and rewarding students with awards. Knowing when to use both is appropriate for each goal achievement.

Ultimately, students will learn if they are given a chance. All student learning levels can achieve success if given the opportunity to prove to themselves they can learn.

Chapter Three: What will I do to help students practice and deepen their understanding of new knowledge?

The basis for this chapter is that students might initially understand an idea or concept, but they must put that knowledge into practice to prevent them from forgetting that newly-acquired information. There are four areas that relate to the notion of practicing and deepening knowledge. Those areas include the following: schema development, development of procedural knowledge, development of declarative knowledge, and homework.

Schema development deals with gradually collecting, sharing, and reconstructing knowledge. Procedural knowledge deals primarily with processes, steps, skills, and routines. Procedural knowledge can change and alter as the learner grows older and it can be put into practice quite often. An example may be how we are taught to do simple math as a child. When we are an adult, we don’t necessarily need to remember the full process, because we have practiced it enough to cut corners. Declarative knowledge deal with more fact-based information that may need to be revised and evaluated as time goes on. Homework is the last area that relates to practicing and deepening knowledge. Students are generally given homework to practice what they learned in class. In most schools today, students of all ages are given homework. The chapter suggests (based on a study) that homework for the lower elementary school students do not necessarily illustrate gains in knowledge. The study also said that having secondary students complete anywhere from 7 to 12 hours of homework each week produced a greater positive effect on their learning.

*It is clear that students should be practicing skills they acquire in class through homework. But what amount of homework is too much or too little? Does it depend on the class? Do we set students up for failure when we assign too much homework?

The following link is to a news article in which a school board in Florida approved measures in controlling that amount of homework provided to students. I thought it went well with this chapter: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7014157997

The chapter made its own conclusions about homework, stating that homework should be created so as to ensure that many students are able to complete it. It also recommended that the younger a student is, the less homework he or she has. Homework should have a clear purpose and should be closely related to learning goals. The students should also be able to complete the homework on their own.

There are many steps that can be taken in order to help deepen students’ knowledge. Here are some recommendations:

-Provide students with tasks that ask them to identify similarities and differences, such as comparing, classifying, creating metaphors, and creating analogies.

-Help students understand when knowledge they receive may be false or incorrect. Examples include faulty logic, attacks, weak references, and misinformation.

-Be sure to give students a chance to practice skills, processes, and strategies.

-Implement cooperative groups, if the task and skills are able to be applied in such settings.

-Provide homework assignments that help students practice what they’ve learned, as well as question faulty information and acquire new knowledge.

-Lastly, students should always review and revise old information. If they have learned a better way to go about something, they should look at their old notes (the chapter suggests an academic notebook) and make corrections there.

Questions to consider:

How do you establish and communicate learning goals?

How do you track student progress?

Do your students track their own progress?

What could you do to help students see the big picture of success?

How do you know if a student has achieved a particular learning goal?

How do you know they “get it?”

13 comments:

  1. Julie K.’s Response to Caroline, Erin, & Heather P.’s Post:

    As far as learning goals, I tell the students at the beginning of the year that we are going to focus on reading, writing, and speaking Spanish. A letter goes home to their parents that also communicates these learning goals. Other than that, I really don’t talk much about the goals, because it is pretty obvious that a main goal is for them to learn to speak Spanish.

    In regards to tracking student progress, again, this is built in with the language instruction. I don’t formally track their progress in terms of writing down what words they can say at the end of each unit or using a fancy system to track their progress, nor do the students do this. However, by the end of the year it is clear that they have gone from knowing little Spanish to knowing many more words.

    I really don’t know what specifically I could do to help my students see the big picture of success, because I wonder how success would be defined in an Elementary Spanish course? For me, success is when a student who felt uncomfortable saying anything in another language at the beginning of the year says something as simple as “Hola Senorita Kiefer” at the end of the year. However, my principal may think that success is when a student can read a ten-page book in Spanish.

    I don’t discuss with students their learning goals, so I do not know how I know if a student has achieved a particular learning goal.

    Finally, I know that the students “get it” when they are starting to speak the language. This happens when they come up to me and tell me that they taught their little brother or sister how to count to five in Spanish or told the man at Taco Bell thank you when they placed their order. This happens when they can do a skit in class without my assistance. It is these instances of students “getting it” that keep be excited about teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my accounting class I begin the year describing to them what all we will accomplish throughout the year. Our main goal is to get everyone on board and be able to complete a business accounting simulation at the end of the year. This simulation is basically everything we have learned throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you establish and communicate learning goals?
    My learning goals are posted on my chalkboard everyday. For example my learning goal for the day was “Students will be able to distinguish between bacteria and viruses”. Goals are established during my collaboration time with the other 7th grade science teacher. We decide our objectives based on the state standards.

    How do you track student progress?
    I use formative and summative assessments. I use questioning, response cards, and exit slips every day. I also use rubrics for performance assessments and homework assignments.

    Do your students track their own progress?
    Yep they are responsible for keeping track of their own grade. They also evaluate their effort in my class once every nine weeks. I have a rubric that gives attributes such as participation, attitude, and persistence to name a few.

    What could you do to help students see the big picture of success?
    I always talk about careers that relate to the topic we are talking about. For instance, we were determining if a rock was limestone by dropping hydrochloric acid on it. The Indiana Department of Transportation use the same test to see if the rock they have is limestone for their highways.

    How do you know if a student has achieved a particular learning goal?
    By a common assessment, either written or performance based. Our school set an 80% test score as being proficient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think with Spanish, my students already realize that being able to communicate fluently with someone in the "real world" would signify success.

    Students track their own progress by being responsible for keeping track of their grade as part of their binder assignment. In the binder, they also are asked to keep notes, vocab, etc. that we learn over the course of the class. Some of my students have all of this for all 4 years they have taken Spanish. They are able to look at the binder and see how much they have learned and improved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the current educational context it is very difficult to help students devise their own learning goals but I know that it is possible. How do we provide opportunities for students to define their own learning goals within the parameters of the official curriculum?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Using rubrics or a check off list is a way that I have students do their own self-evaluation. Not only do they know how I will grade them, but they can verify that they have met the requirements. In most of my classes the end goal is to understand how to operate the software program we are using (multiple types). I feel that I know they get it when they can produce an end product. Our current project includes 20 pages, but in the end I only have them print our 7 for evaluation. This serves two purposes, for those who struggle to get completed in time, it allows them to still be successful in the project, secondly, it saves a tree! In observing their work on their computer screens, I feel that I get a good idea of who is "getting it". I know it's their own work because nothing is completed outside of class.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo...I have recently caught kids saving files in apps class to flash drives and giving them to the neighbors in class to copy to their network drives and rename. Oh, the joy of computer class!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dusty-

    In my classes, I almost always have a flash/jump drive that students use. When they are working on a project outside of school, they are able to save it to what the technology director calls an "ifolder," which supposedly allows students to transfer network documents to their personal computers at home. Half the time the ifolder doesn't work, so students use their jump drives to transfer work.

    I almost always have to use a jump drive to transfer journalism files to and from the network for my layout editor, who use a mac with the updated software. Our school-owned Dells are too slow and don't have the programs necessary--save only 2...long story.

    Dusty, do you really see a problem with the jump drive usage? I know it's a pain when kids transfer work to cheat, but how do you deal with the plagairism? (sp?)

    --Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. At the beginning of a particular unit or lesson, I try to verbally convey learning goals to the students. I spend a lot of time peeking over the students' shoulders as they complete their work. This also gives them a comfortable way to ask me questions as they need to. Perhaps my students don't formally "track" their own progress, but I notice that many of them check off the work they have completed as they go, probably more to stay organized than anything else.
    To me, the best way to know if they "got it" is to approach assessment from several different directions and see what stuck and what didn't. I also try to give students some say in their deadlines, approaching it as a team effort. I think this helps students recognize themselves as part of the learning team, not just the "labor" working for the "boss."

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my 8th grade social studies class (Discovery through Reconstruction) the learning goal I have for my students are to be able to connect historical events together using supporting details. I do not want them to memorize dates and facts...I want them to understand the order of events. I usually break this up into two larger themed learning goals. The first several weeks of school we continue to ask "How does this lead to the American Revolution?" Once we declare independence the question turns to "How does this lead to the Civil War?" In between we connect smaller events - like the term of one president to another. I check for understanding by having formal and informal discussions with the kids, asking warm-up questions about the previous days topics and seeing if they can guess what will come next, and, of course, using all different types of formal assessments. I can track their progress when I see if they can connect the dots from one event to the next. When they can figure out what will come next I know they understand how this all works. While I want my students to remember the topics discussed this year, one of my main goals is for them to enjoy learning about history, not being consumed by dates and facts, so they will go on to enjoy it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my math classes, the goals are simply to understand the concepts in each section we go through; however, an underlying goal that I do not discuss with them often enough is for them to gain big picture concepts and connect what we learn to real life.
    Students don't really track their own progress on paper, but it seems like I'm always encouraging them to do mental checks for understanding. I track student progress mostly with checkmarks in my gradebook, signifying various things. I would like to create a system in which I could put various markings under each date or week to illustrate which students demonstrated which qualities.
    When students "get it", I can tell. It makes me emotional inside; I LOVE seeing the "light bulb effect."

    ReplyDelete
  12. As far as learning goals, I basically cover those at the beginning of each major unit or chapter - provides the students with a broad look at what we will be doing/covering over a period of time. At the end of each unit, after I administer a formal assessment, I like to go back to those initial learning goals that were introduced and take a second look at them. Kind of a "look how much you just learned" before we move on to the next unit. This also helps me evaluate if the students "got it" too. When I am reviewing what they have learned, sometimes a student will make a comment or question: "Wait, I forgot what that was", or How do you do that again?" Sometimes I even get help from the class. "Don't you remember when she was talking about . . . "

    As far as tracking student progress, it is something I am constantly trying to keep up with by keeping my grade book caught up and current. That is also a great way to see if kids are getting it. If I am grading an assignment, and have a lot of low scores, I know they need some extra review.

    In my computer apps class, I have students keep track of their own grades by using an excel worksheet. As I grade their work, I electronically put a score and comments and send it back to the student. If a student is missing an assignment, I create a new document for them, and let them know how many points if was worth. I name the document, (for example), Agenda, not completed. When they open it they will see a score of 0/20. I tell them it is up to them to keep track of assignments, and if they are interested in making up work they have fallen behind on, they need to talk to me. That is also a way that I keep up with cheating. If a student has not talked to me about making up work, and suddenly claims to have 4 assignments done, I know something is up. Also another important reason to walk around and monitor what they are working on. If I don't see a student working on a project all hour, and suddenly it is done before the bell rings, I am very suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like many of you, I post my goals on the board at the beginning of class. For assessment of how well they have achieved the goals, I give them time in the class to begin their assignments (I refuse to use the term homework because I wish for them to use class time to begin). This gives me an opportunity to see if they and I have truly met my goals. I can also answer the questions that they did not wish to ask out loud (which I sometimes answer for everyone to hear). A further assessment lies in my formal assessments.

    ReplyDelete