Schooling by Design
By Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe
http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/107018.aspx
Ashlee Giordano, Kristen Ekhoff, and Paul Weedling
We have bolded and symbolized with a “? –“ our questions for our classmates to ponder as they formulate their responses to this book review. Please do not feel pressured to answer all four of these in a single response; they are meant to be thought (and discussion) provoking questions, which may be separated from each other.
Chapter 5: What Is the Teacher’s Job When Teaching?
The mission of the teacher is to cause understanding of the curriculum. It is to develop “student understanding leading to genuine transfer performances, not simply knowledge acquisition.”
Teachers can take on three main roles in methodology: direct instructor, facilitator of understanding, or coach. Each of these yield different responses from the students; none of the three is better than the other, but only distinguished in the desired student response type and what style of teaching best fits the current curricula. The effective teacher uses all three methods appropriately at various times.
The authors took time to explore the role of the teacher as a facilitator more extensively. When the teacher is a facilitator, his/her role is to encourage students to continue questioning and responding within discussion, not to lead the discussions. The teacher in this role engages in Socratic questioning, guiding the students to construct meaning, but refraining from extensive direction and relinquishing control over the discussion. During Socratic questioning, a teacher can tell if the students realize there is a change in the classroom dynamic by watching where their eyes go after somebody makes a comment. Do they go to the teacher or to the student?
? - Do any of you have experiences like this, where the students stop looking to you as the teacher for direction and start looking to each other? We highly recommend looking at this article and scrolling down to Figure 5.1. This shows which methods of teaching lead to what type of student results. http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/107018/chapters/What_Is_the_Teacher%27s_Job_When_Teaching%2b.aspx
Wiggins and McTighe also explained the coaching role in greater detail. Some of the things they described a good coach doing were modeling goals, providing continuous feedback, and set high standards while helping students believe they can achieve those high standards. The effective coach also adjusts plans to meet even the unexpected needs of the moment. Coaching performance “seeks to support the learners' ability to transfer their learning to succeed in complex and autonomous performances. The teacher/coach establishes clear performance goals and then supervises the development of skills and habits through ongoing opportunities to perform, accompanied by specific feedback and modeling.” (Wiggins and McTighe)
The article mentions that there is no one correct way of teaching. Wiggins and McTighe give the following suggestions to assist in discerning when to use one method of teaching over another:
· “Emphasize facilitation when you seek conceptual understanding, the overcoming of misunderstandings, and student construction and testing of key ideas.
· Use coaching when you desire skilled, fluent, and self-disciplined transfer in performance, in response to feedback and advice.
· Offer direct instruction more on a “need to know” basis in light of clear performance goals and feedback from students' attempts to perform with their knowledge.”
Teachers sometimes lose sight of the mission of schooling by design. The authors suggest three common misconceptions teachers have about what their job consists of:
1. Thinking, “My job is to teach the content.”
2. Believing, “My job is to engage learners with interesting activities.”
3. Feeling, “My job is to teach to the test.”
? - Do you find yourself falling into any of these misdirected (but common) trains of thought? What surrounds those thought patterns? Can you find a common trigger in your experience? Do the majority of your coworkers seem to have a common misconception?
Chapter 8: How Should Backward Design Apply to School Reform?
As with accomplishing all goals in life, in education we must think and act strategically in order to effectively accomplish these goals. To plan backwards there are three stages to consider. In stage 1 the teacher needs to identify the desired result (what should students know). Stage 2 the teacher determines the acceptable evidence (assessment). Then in stage 3 the teacher can plan learning experiences and instruction that match stage 1 and 2. The authors suggest school reform has failed recently because “there has been no local, coherent, long-term strategy to plan effectively, validly select and coordinate tactics, and react quickly and decisively, mindful of strategy and goals.” The authors propose that the strategy (the broad plan) for successful school reform lies in everyone’s focus on understanding and transfer, and the tactics (the specific attacks to accomplish the plan) should all be in line with the purposes of that mission. Three nonnegotiable principles for successful reform include: “(1) plan backward from mission and program goals by carefully analyzing what mission demands, (2) confront and close the gap between the vision and reality, and (3) set in place from the start a plan to adjust the plan.”
? - Do you as teachers use the backward design method? What are some things you find difficult? What are some things that are successful? Have you seen a change from not using backward design to using backward design?
In applying backward design to school reform, we start with identifying the desired results. In this stage, the essential questions, knowledge, and skills the staff will have to confront along the way to achieving the goal are identified. In the second stage of determining the acceptable evidence, determination of how progress will be tracked and how adjustments will be made needs to be done. In the final stage of developing planned actions to achieve the goals, specifics of who will do what and what will be needed are answered. The designers (usually administrators) of the strategy, while going through backward design, must keep in mind that although players (teachers and staff) must know well and be able to put the plan into action, because deterrents and detours are bound to happen along the way, players must be empowered to thoughtfully improvise.
In developing and implementing a strategy for “closing the gap between vision and reality,” it is absolutely necessary that a plan of assessment be in place in order to accurately be able to adjust the strategy when needed. Two errors of way are warned against by the authors: (1) professional development is too often focused on activities to implement in our classrooms, but rarely followed up on or even connected to the long-term mission/goal of the school, and (2) teachers are told to do something in our classrooms, but not always given clear instructions for how to do so, nor held accountable for implementation.
? – Have you ever participated in a professional development opportunity that you believe to be a good example of one in which (1) the material was connected to the big picture of the mission of the school, (2) you were given all the tools and information necessary to implement the learning in your classroom, and (3) your administrators followed up on your implementation of your learning? Describe what it was and what made it a good example.
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
One class where my students look to each other is in computers - and we encourage this! Also in my lecture classes, I try and allow the students ample opportunities to work together to talk about ideas - I will provide questions for them to discuss and them allow them to work. I only intervene during their discussion if they need further clarification.
ReplyDeleteAs I teach for more years, I see myselft redesigning my classes more toward the backward approach. As a beginning teacher though, there is no way I was doing this!
Also, I think many of the teachers I work with view teaching as "teach the content" - they don't evaluate the students and determine if reteaching is necessary. Some even teach to the test. I believe in order to have the students want to participate, you must show them the relevance.
Good summation and thought provoking questions! I'll try to address a few with the time I have have right now:
ReplyDeleteDo any of you have experiences like this, where the students stop looking to you as the teacher for direction and start looking to each other?
I have had moments like that--and "usually" I intend for that to happen. I mean, I someties create activities where I encourage students to figure things out for themselves, usually in regards to the "meaning" in literature. I encourage them to ask eachother what they thought in little pods or groups, sometimes I flat out refuse to answer questions for a period of time. I've found this increases student creativity, as being one person, I usually have limited interpretations of things.
However, I think this was meant more of a negative thing, where students try to help eacother figure out what expectations are because they aren't clear. That happens to me sometimes too and its disheartening. To regain "control" I've found I've had to reorganize myself so that students have a clearer idea of what's going on.
Do you as teachers use the backward design method? What are some things you find difficult? What are some things that are successful? Have you seen a change from not using backward design to using backward design?
I always use backward design when making lesson plans. I'm not sure how "new" this is or not--it's also just how I think of things. Even when I was a lowly team captain in high school for the debate team, I always started a season with a general expectation of what evidence I wanted myself and others to have, and an image of how we would deliver our arguments before our first tournament--I found it gave me direction and sense of scope and sequence even before I really knew what those things were. I try, in all things, to manage my life with how something will "end up." I may be a bit fuzzy on the exact order or timing of things, but I always think about "okay, what needs to happen to get from step 20 from 19 till 18" and eventually I wind up at the first step. However, I have enough experience to know that some people don't go into things with a vision, I guess, and try to do things on the fly, or only teach what they "like" rather than what they think students should DO. I suppose it is more a training and personality habit than a real "trend" in education.
I know this doesn't follow the book's description of Socratic questioning exactly, but after one of the lectures in my other class this semester, I instituted something called "ask three before me" and it sort of worked. I think if it were a procedure that I would have in place and make a common occurrence, it would work much better. It allowed them to talk with each other and glean from each others' knowledge and creativity. It worked pretty well in that sense. I had a really hard time making myself not answer any questions until I was sure they had asked three other people...I wanted to help them!
ReplyDelete-Do any of you have experiences like this, where the students stop looking to you as the teacher for direction and start looking to each other?
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, with the immersion method that I was told I had to use with Spanish instruction, there was no point in my instruction when the students were independent enough to lead the class on their own or do activities on their own. Therefore, they always saw me as the facilitator and leader of the class and did not look to each other.
-------------------------------------------------
-Do you find yourself falling into any of these misdirected (but common) trains of thought?
The one that I am most guilty of is 2. Believing, “My job is to engage learners with interesting activities.” The thought patterns around this and the triggers to it come from the fact that I hated being bored when learning as a student, and as a result I would not want my students to feel this way either. My lessons are full of activities that engage the students from the beginning of the lesson to the end of it. Boredom is not something that happens in my lessons, and before reading this chapter from the book, I did not realize that this was a bad habit to fall into.
The majority of your coworkers seem to have the common misconception of 3. Feeling, “My job is to teach to the test.” This is understandable, since there is so much pressure placed on them by the administration for their students to pass the ISTEP exam.
-------------------------------------------------
-Do you as teachers use the backward design method?
Yes, I use the backward design method. My Spanish lessons were grouped according to themes. Each theme had a final project, such as making maps when we did the Our Community unit. So, I began with thinking, "In order to make the map, what vocabulary words will the students need to know? How will I teach them? What songs can be used to teach them?"
What are some things you find difficult?
The difficult part for me was choosing the appropriate number of Spanish words to teach in each unit. For example, there could easily be 75 words that I could teach about the community, but first graders could learn no more than 25 in a three week period. I did not have a textbook to guide me, and the longer I taught, the easier this was to do.
What are some things that are successful?
Having the previously stated units and final products while planning the backwards design worked quite well for me.
Have you seen a change from not using backward design to using backward design?
When I taught middle school, I had a textbook that guided by instruction, and it did not use backward design. However, comparing teaching with a textbook that did not use backward design to comparing teaching without a textbook that used backward design would be like comparing apples to oranges and would not be a fair comparison to make.
I think my kids look to each other a lot when working on their homework. At first I thought it was just to share answers but they are really good about helping each other to understand the answers they are getting. Also the other kids can explain the lesson in the way that they understand it which may be different than the way I teach it. This helps the kids to look at the concepts from different points of view.
ReplyDeleteI also encourage kids to ask each other questions in the computer classes I teach as well as my accounting class. there is a fine line in asking questions and giving answers. I think peer tutoring is a great idea.
ReplyDeleteI use backwards design. It just makes sense to me because I have to know where I'm going before I set out to get there. To me, doing the opposite would be like setting out on a trip without first deciding where you are going.
ReplyDeleteDo you find yourself falling into any of these misdirected (but common) trains of thought?
I most often find myself trying to use lots of projects to keep students engaged while still asking them to put to use the information we are learning in class. I want my students to get excited about Spanish so I like to use projects. I don't think that doing verb conjugation drills will keep students engage so I find ways to make it interesting.
Believing, “My job is to engage learners with interesting activities.”
ReplyDeleteI fall into this trap sometimes due to classroom behavior. I teach in a computer lab all day, but I still have those students with behavioral issues that can ruin a class, so sometimes I think it's just best to give them activities that are interesting and I forget what the end goal is. I think it is easy to fall into this trap, but I realize that I have to keep in mind what I am want my students to learn and not just keep them interested.
Jo
Along the lines of what Dallis said, I also have Socratic-like moments in my classroom, where students are looking to each other. And yes, I also let them intentionally struggle, and sometimes plan out the moments too. Most of the time they do finally come up with answers that are very close to the response I am looking for. I really enjoy it when they "feed off" of each other, and with my freshmen, always offer encouraging comments: "I don't expect you to know this, but . . ." "You are on the right track . . . Keep thinking . . . " It presents a challenge to them, that with the right topics and situations can be very effective. Of course when they are really struggling, I jump in and offer help. I suppose I am really taking on the role of facilitator or coach at this time.
ReplyDeleteLike others have commented, I find myself "guilty" of trying to engage my students with interesting activities. The ones I choose though, are strongly connected to my curriculum, so I'm not sure that I really consider this a "bad habit".
Question about professional development: Yes, I have attended a curriculum writing workshop which was a very unique opportunity at Pokagon State Park - a weekend retreat. There were teachers from many disciplines discussing their curriculum, and how to incorporate it into other subject matter disciplines. We learned a lot, worked a lot, and also had a nice mix of down time where informal discussion took place. I came back to school energized and excited to implement the ideas. Unfortunately, I feel that this type of experience can only be obtained through a retreat like this. Half-day in-service sessions just don't cut it. Nothing gets done due to time limitations, and there is little follow-up. I probably won't get another opportunity to do anything like this in the future (unfortunately) due to - you guessed it - budget constraints - maybe O'Bama will change things in this respect? If any of you get a chance to attend something similar to this, I would highly recommend it! With this particular experience: 1. yes it was connected to the school mission 2. yes, we were given the tools needed (large binder of ideas and lesson plans we created) and 3. there was follow-up - we were required to attend follow-up sessions and held accountable for implementing the ideas in our classroom
Trying to find the right balance when students struggle (and that often happens just before a cognitive leap or an AHHH moment occurs) and jumping in to help is one of the most challenging things teachers and parents have to learn ( and relearn with every student).
ReplyDeletePD that is similar to what Sandra described is so important on many levels--social, personal and professional.
As a teacher, I don't think I use the backward design method as much as I should. I guess I always think chronologically and in a more linear manner. Obviously, that isn't going to produce the desire results at all times. It seems to make more sense for teachers to work backwards; determine the desire results, go about finding a way to assess it, and figure out the best way in which students to learn this. It is obviously difficult in that it requires some serious time and consideration added to planning time. It is almost easier to do it the old-fashioned way. But of course, that is probably why we don't often get the outcomes we want from our classes.
ReplyDeleteI think my more advanced classes understand and know how to play off each others' ideas and responses to hold a meaningful class discussion. They acquire knowledge, ask questions of themselves and others, and ultimately learn quite a bit in the process. I try to work with my younger students to develop these skills through modeling and "fish bowl" group examples. My students sometimes look to each other for help and explanation, which is difficult at times when you don't want students talking or collaborating during class.
-Heather P.
Dusty and Kristen previously stated they require/encourage students to ask classmates questions prior to asking them, I try to implement this as well in my class. I often allowed students to go from group to group and discuss their project only for a few minutes and try to answer questions others may have. I have found it to be very effective and reduces the amount of questions I have to answer.
ReplyDeleteIn response to the groups question, I often find myself trying to find activities that will interest the students and keep them motivated for the entire project. I don't know that I necessarily believe that is a bad thing though! I realize that some content needs to be covered and may not be the most exciting but that's our job as educators to find activities that will engage our students in their learning. As a technology education teacher, students come to my class expecting to be involved in hands on activities and sometimes they are disappointed when they don't get that. So I try my best to keep them active and interesting in the learning while in my classroom!
-Nick
I have found myself feeling guilty for not teaching enough "content" where students are recording lots of "notes" for the class. Part of this is that one of the school's goals for the year has been to implement the use of the Cornell notetaking method. Typically I don't work by the "notes" method in literature and composition; I tend to go more by a Socratic questioning method to encourage student discussion. My seniors are usually confident enough to look toward one another during the discussion; but I must admit, many times they are also looking back at me for affirmation.
ReplyDeleteMyra, our school sounded like it was going to force the Cornell notetaking method upon us 3 years ago. The entire math department just laughed and thought the idea ridiculous. Math notes just don't fit into that kind of a format; most of them are examples, not summaries. However, at least one of our science teachers was/is an avid supporter of the system and uses it all the time. Having several of her students in my student resource time, I'm not sure the notetaking system is helping them at all...they complain about how it does not help on the homework nor tests, and it shows in their grades (even with the stronger students.) Why should an entire school, across disciplines, be pigeon-holed into teaching with one style?? I applaud your compliance, but I'm really glad you haven't given up on the (most likely more effective) Socratic questioning and resorted to lecture all the time.
ReplyDelete? - Do any of you have experiences like this, where the students stop looking to you as the teacher for direction and start looking to each other?
ReplyDeleteWith my 8th graders this most happened when we discussed the election in November. That is mostly because I was very hesistant to make any statements and when the topic came up I sat back and let the kids talk it out - with monitoring, of course.
This will also happen when I do current events. The goal is to make it a discussion where the kids ask questions of the articles shared, state opinions, and discuss the importance before moving on to the next topic. I've had success with this and the kids really make the conversation their own.
? - Do you find yourself falling into any of these misdirected (but common) trains of thought? What surrounds those thought patterns? Can you find a common trigger in your experience? Do the majority of your coworkers seem to have a common misconception?
I feel that many of my math and language arts co-workes feel the need to "teach to the test." I do not feel that way becasue social studies is not on the ISTEP test....yet. I've heard a lot of teachers in the building say they've had to give up a lot of thier favorite class projects because there is no time - they are spending so much on test material. In middle school I think this is a mistake. So much of the learning is cooperative and more class projects should be happening, not less.
As a journalism teacher, I hope that my students will look to each other for guidance as well as to me. Since our activities will be hands-on project-based activities, we will learn together and from each other. I do not think the concern of teaching the content or teaching to the test will be a factor for me since journalism is not included in any of the standardized testing. Although I was not previously familiar with backward design, I do believe I already use this method in the units and lessons I plan in my teaching methods classes. When you have a specific skill as a goal, such as writing an informative and concise headline, it makes sense to start at the goal and work backward to come up with activities that will enable students to reach the goal.
ReplyDeleteProfessional development is something that I think should be addressed in the way in which the question implies and the way in which Sandra described the retreat she attended, but the most common things I hear from teachers about professional development refer to it as boring, a waste of time, irrelevant etc.
Kristen, you mention the Cornell notetaking in the math class. I require it with my students. Our school has adopted it because it is part of the AVID program. I find that it works well. The side columns can contain examples or problems developed by the students. The notes are done like any other note format. The summary just gives a summary of any algorithms or Theorems or whatever the primary focus of the lesson was. I also find it a good way to force kids to take notes while reading a math textbook. I use this a lot in my algebra II/Trig. class (MA153/154). The students must read the book in that class.
ReplyDelete