Introduction
- Students respond to classroom activities differently due to differing backgrounds such as ethnicity and language, but all students are capable if teaching styles are engaging and relevant.
- A lack of understanding and stereotyping of the culture of minority students on the part of both teachers and administration has been an ongoing problem.
- Minority students often attend schools which are sub-par which attributes further to the problem and can create a never ending cycle of poverty.
- The Hispanic population has doubled since 1990. Almost 25% of African Americans and Native Americans live in poverty. Many times those children from homes in which English is not the primary language are already behind when entering school.
- Students from inner urban schools are held to low expectations and are not required to think critically. We agree. We have seen students who come from different school districts and claim to have studied a second language for more than a year yet cannot say the alphabet in the target language. Other students come to school knowing this from "Dora the Explorer".
- Pedagogy of Plenty – Term used to describe engaging students with high expectations, worthwhile activities that are applicable to the students' lives, and incorporating the differing cultures and languages of students.
Chapter 1
- Racism is still present in today's society but might not necessarily be as obvious as it was in years past. Unfortunately, this is true. One group member pointed out that, at a Spanish Honor Society dinner at an authentic restaurant, the principal (who is now retired) stood up during the dinner to address the students. He started his speech by stating, "Back in the 60s when I was in school, you never saw Mexicans on TV except portrayed as the typical dirty guy drinking tequila." She was both embarrassed and horrified. The principal went on to explain that Spanish is more prevalent today and why it was important to study a foreign language, but he never realized that he had said something inappropriate. Therefore, as teachers we must continue to reinforce the importance of learning a second language and teach multicultural diversity.
- Standardized testing and the use of percentiles to decide passing or failing grades contributes to the problem of non-English speaking minority students doing poorly in school, because it automatically expects a certain amount of students to do badly. Rather than achievement being proven by students accomplishing certain tasks, students are rated and compared with the scores of other students.
- Using the "sink or swim" method with non-English speaking students does not do them justice because they become overwhelmed and quickly become discouraged with school. Another group member spent six weeks taking classes in Mexico, and sometimes her brain would just want to shut down because the effort it took to constantly speak a language other than English was exhausting. She did learn a lot in that time and her Spanish improved, but she can sympathize with non-English speaking students. English as a Second Language (ESL) is an important program and should be run by qualified teachers. School districts often do not provide enough ESL teachers, and sometimes there is only one for an entire district. This means that the students who need the assistance obviously are not getting the help they need to learn English.
-INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES DISCUSSED IN THE CHAPTER:
- Provide opportunities for student to work in a variety of social configurations and settings
- Use reality-based learning approaches
- Encourage interdisciplinary teaching
- Involve students actively
- Analyze students' learning and reading styles
- Actively model behaviors
- Explore the fullest dimensions of thought
- Use a multicultural teaching approach
- Use alternative assessments
- Promote home/school partnerships
- Use accelerated learning techniques
- Foster strategies in questioning
- Emphasize brain-compatible instruction
- Activate students' prior knowledge
- Use a constructivist approach to teaching
- Organize instructionally effective classroom environments
MULTICULTURAL TEACHING APPROACH
-Celebrating diversity is not simply reading Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech or other such activities. Celebrating diversity teaches students that each one has different backgrounds and heritages and they are all important. The United States is a melting pot of cultures; understanding and accepting this is a first step towards ending stereotypes and racism.
Chapter 2
12 KEY ELEMENTS FOR EFFECTIVE TEACHING FOR ETHNIC AND LANGUAGE-MINORITY STUDENTS:
1. Teachers have a clear sense of their own ethnic and cultural
identities.
2. Teachers communicate high expectations for the success of all
students and a belief that all students can succeed
3. Teachers are personally committed to achieving equity for all
students and believe that they are capable of making a difference in their students' learning
4. Teachers have developed a bond with their students and cease
seeing them as "the other".
5. Schools provide an academically challenging curriculum that
includes attention to the development of higher-level cognitive skills.
6. Instruction focuses on students' creation of meaning about
content in an interactive and collaborative learning environment.
7. Teachers help students see learning tasks as meaningful.
8. Curricula include the contributions and perspectives of the
different ethno cultural groups that compose the society.
9. Teachers provide a "scaffolding" that links the academically
challenging curriculum to the cultural resources that students bring to school.
10. Teachers explicitly teach students the culture of the school
and seek to maintain students' sense of ethno cultural pride and identity.
11. Community members and parents or guardians are encouraged
to become involved in students' education and are given a significant voice in making important school decisions related to programs (such as resources and staffing).
12. Teachers are involved in political struggles outside the
classroom that are aimed at achieving a more just and humane society.
- Jaime Escalante earned attention by his students' success on the AP Calculus exam and the movie, Stand and Deliver, gave a glimpse of the high expectations he held for his students. Escalante proved that all students are capable of excelling if they have a teacher who believes in them and has high expectations.
- The language problem is becoming more and more prevalent in schools. One group member has a student who moved to the US from Mexico in June. He did not know any English before moving here and is making a lot of progress. He was scheduled to classes in which there were bilingual students so that they could assist him and interpret when needed. While the teacher is very impressed with his progress, she wishes that there were more programs to help him since he only spends 90 minutes every other day with the ESL instructor.
-The chapter says that "Teachers sometimes misinterpret the behaviors of poor and minority students because they do not understand the cultures they come from" and "only when teachers understand their students' cultural backgrounds can they avoid this kind of cultural clash." One group member remembers when she first taught at her inner-city school. Her first year there she was very confused by the behaviors of her students. She did not understand the Ebonics that she heard in the hallways or things like why they brought their entire families with them to parent teacher conferences (now she knows it is because the parents did not have childcare and felt that the students should hear what was said at the conference). She was even called a racist by one of her African American coworkers because she did not know what collard greens were. So one day, the school secretary took her to a restaurant where the students eat, and she had what the secretary called soul food. The teacher also went to the neighborhood grocery store, and the librarian, who lived in the neighborhood, drove her around and showed her the houses where the kids resided. She also found the website www.urbandictionary.com<http://www.urbandictionary.com/> which helped define the Ebonics that she heard daily. Doing so helped her understand her students more and see where they were coming from, although she never learned to like collared greens.
Thought Provoking Question:
The book says that "Racism permits some youngsters access to the very best that U.S. society has to offer, while barring others from an equal chance for success in life." How have you encountered racism in your life, both in and out of the classroom, and how do you teach your students to combat it?
Racism, indeed pervades a very large part of American life, even today. A big part of modern racism is that it is not as overt as yesteryears. Gone are the days when racial slurs were widely accepted forms of speech or passed off as valid opinions, but now we have something even more insidious in my opinion: hidden institutionalized racism.
ReplyDeleteIt's present in a lot of ways, but it's often defined in things other than the superficial aspect of race. For example, "poor" students are often stereotyped as being uncaring about school. The vast majority of "poor" students are thought to be a member of black or latin minorities. Thus these students are often devoted less energies in the classroom and on policy levels than their white counterparts--even if they share the same socio-economic status as "poor."
Case in point: My high school. I was diagnosed with learning disabilities, and I couldn't help but notice that most African-American students and Latin-American students in school shared my remedial classes--which were just terrible. I mean, what kind of strategy is it to catch up to your peers by putting you on a track that moves slower than the rest does? Anyway, In the AP courses (which featured their own theatre and special block classroom, with special non-standard furniture by the way) the group was predominantly white with a few Chinese sprinkled in. Since reading about racism in my other classes through out college and my master's program it seems that this is fairly normal--and not an accident.
I wonder if other classmates noticed a similar form of racism in their high schools, as far as the AP kids being the White kids, and the special education students being the minority ones? The high school where I gradated from had one Black student out of the 850, so there is no way to judge the level of racism among the students.
ReplyDeleteDallis, you were the minority in your special education classes? How did this feel?
In response to your question and the statement about permitting access to students to the best that the U.S. has to offer, I tend to agree with this statement more than disagree. I came from a high school that was around 35-65 black to white. My school had everyone from very low income families to students from wealthy families. There are a lot of things I would change about my high school experience but having this type of diversity in my school wouldn't be one of them. So many times I see my friends who come from small towns or classmates from small towns who have no experience with this. I think it's too bad they haven't had this opportunity and I feel it is something they will need to understand if they hope to teach in a city school. I'm currently in a multicultural class and we often talk about this subject of how to combat it in the schools. You must let your students know this is an unacceptable behavior or it won't stop. By letting it slide in the classroom you will continue to battle it if it isn't addressed.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, Nick. It must stop and we must teach our students that any form of racism -overt or hidden - is unacceptable. What are some ways that we might better prepare teachers to understand and embrace the diversity of their students?
ReplyDeleteI live and teach in a predominately Caucasian school district. There are only a few students of different races. When President Obama was elected the students had to reply to a writing prompt. The writing prompt asked questions like, how do you feel about the new president and do you think the new president will do a good job and why. I had more than one student answer with, “I believe the President will be assassinated.” They have heard this at home. The hard thing about the area I live in is that many of the parents are racist even if they do not realize it. It is truly difficult to teach the students one thing and have them hear something completely different at home. The social studies teachers at our school talked to the students about Obama’s life before he became president, including all of his hard times and obstacles he had to over come. Also in science class one of our big standards states, describe contributions made to science by people with different backgrounds during different time periods. Not only do I emphasize the scientific contribution but students must also research where the scientist came from and what his or her culture was like.
ReplyDeleteOur school has had Ruby Payne present to us about teaching to minorities. I really enjoyed her presentation because she talked about specific stories and figures. However, she did not give us strategies that would be helpful. I feel like I really need training especially since I have always lived in a predominantly Caucasian community.
Touchy subject! Very easy to take things the wrong way. I have lived in Washington DC...very diverse community. I have taught in an inner-city high school .. North Side in Fort Wayne, and I now teach at a mostly white high school .. Carroll. Does racism exist...yes. Is it only white against blacks...no. Is it white against all minorities...no. Unfortunately, racism does not choose sides, it is color blind. Can we change it, I think so. For me, the best way is to model this behavior to all students...take them for who they are in your classroom. Dont listen to another teacher talk about how bad a student is in their class and assume they will behave that way in yours. Teach to all students and talk to them they way you would want someone to not talk to you...but talk to your child. If this can be done, we are heading in the right direction.
ReplyDeleteI have definitely experienced racism in my lifetime. I went to high school in the deep south. The town where my high school was located still held KKK rallies in the late 70's when I moved there from the Midwest. I could not believe it. I am even embarrassed to admit it even though I had no part of it and thought it was terrible. My high school was probably 99% white and racial slurs were pretty much accepted and widely used.
ReplyDeleteMy job as a teacher is to promote diversity in the classroom. I have to be on guard at all times for students making comments that are not racially acceptable. We have to quit ignoring and start paying attention to what students are saying. I find a lot of teachers in my building just ignore students' comments, it's easier. I think a powerful tool that we have is open discussion within our classes. We can take a leadership role while letting students have a voice and then re-direct when necessary.
My school only has a few students who are not Caucasion. Obviously, many have been raised to be prejudiced. While students might have one attitude in their homes and social groups, they are asked to change those feelings, or at least not display them when they come to school. In a discussion of To Kill a Mockingbird this week, one of my students made a remark that showed how racist he was. When other students and I challenged him for it, he didn't seem to think that anything he had said was wrong. I was proud that so many of the other students called him out for his attitude. Even though I know they themselves have been exposed to racism, they at least had the objectivity to realize how ridiculous this student sounded when he made his comment.
ReplyDeleteGreat comments! I also teach in a very non-diverse school district. I have to say I have not heard as many racists remarks as I have ignorant remarks about race. For example, I asked my 8th grade social studies students to write if they felt Dr. King's dreams had come true. So many said yes either because we now have an African American president (like that fixes everything) or yes because "blacks and whites are now treated equally." I do not think of this as racist, but ignorant of how things really are outside of the bubble of our school district. I worry - a lot - about my students once they get out in the real world and see some actual diversity (if that actually happens). To counteract the non-diverse population I try to introduce as many diverse historical figures as possible. The issue is that I teach up until Reconstruction. The post mentioned that celebrating diversity is more than reading Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech. I have to agree but also state that I do cover this with my students (even thought it's not in my curriculum) because I feel like a lot of them have no idea what it was like in America before and during the Civil Rights Movement.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Julie's comments about racism in AP and about racism in general, in 5 years of teaching AP Calc, I have had a few exchange students, but only one minority student (and he's in my class this year.) Our school is admittedly composed of mainly Caucasian students (we have one Black student currently), but we also have a growing Hispanic population (nearing 7%). I do not believe traditional racism is the reason for Jose being the first Hispanic student I have had in AP Calc. I believe many Hispanic students have a language disadvantage if they are not fluent in English by 9th grade, and by default they do not then make it to Calculus by 12th grade. I realize giftedness is supposed to surpass language barriers, and the fact that it sometimes does not is a form of racism. Perhaps the lack of sufficient ESL programs and qualified instructors is the most racist movement in our school currently. The ESL teacher does not speak Spanish, or any other language than English, so it has been very difficult for her to provide the needed assistance and instruction to these students. The State needs to provide competitive funds to hire qualified ESL teachers!!! The fact is, if you are bilingual, you will make a lot more money working for a business corporation than for a school system, which is somewhat sad and a disservice to those students who need language assistance.
ReplyDeleteKristin, I agree with you that ESL teachers need to speak another language. I have a coworker that went from being a regular classroom teacher to an ESL teacher, because she knew that it would be an easier job. Sadly she does not speak another language, with her only experience being two years of high school German and an ESL certificate. On the other hand, I am bilingual and do not have an ESL certificate. So, I just voluntarily help the teachers to translate for their students. It takes a lot of time, but it is worth it to help their students to succeed.
ReplyDeleteRacism hasn't been a major problem for me in the classroom. I encourage all students to speak freely about their beliefs; however, I also encourage students who are more "racist" than others to change their attitude about why they think they are racist. Some can determine their racism through their upbringing--my parents are racist, therefore so am I. However, while the students are thinking of their attitudes as being racist, they are actually mor prejudice. Because of the area in which they live, they experience differences among the different cultural backgrounds among other students' religious preference and non-traditional cultures--Amish. Students' preferences of others exudes from their everyday hallway discussions. Generally the students mean well of others, but because "it's always been like that," they are reluctant to change.
ReplyDeleteI try my best to display a non-judgemental attitude and demeanor everyday in my classroom. I try to show my students a positive outlook toward others, displaying my desire to serve them as I would hope they would want to serve others. It's a delicate process to change a student's way of thinking to have a more positive attitude toward others.
Julie, you are truly a jewel and I hope your school realizes how rare of a self-sacrificial person they have found. Most people would not spend the time nor devote the energy to go above and beyond their job as much as you have. I applaud and respect you for these efforts!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words! I appreciate them! It has been a tough week, so they could not have come at a better time. Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteBeing asked to be an interpreter when you are a Spanish teacher happens quite frequently. When the office has to call a home where Spanish is spoken, they often call me out of class to interpret via speaker phone.
ReplyDeleteSomething that has not been brought up yet that I have been thinking about - do students find it acceptable to call Caucasian students "crackers"? My experience has been that many do not realize this is also a racial slur simply because it is directed at the Caucasian students.
Funny you should mention the cracker word. I have not had to speak to any students about the "N" word this year...yet. However, I have had to speak to students about the "C" word. They do realize it is a racial slur...that is the intent. I stop this as quickly as I stopped the "N" word. It does seem acceptable behavior at this time. That needs to change so we can improve race relations not only in our schools but in our communities.
ReplyDeleteI have to get on my students pretty hard when they start calling something "jewish." I had one girl write in her journal the phrase "journals are for jews." I've heard this phrase over and over in my classroom. I've talked with the students (and this particular student) numerous times about not saying this like this. I've also asked what they mean by it and why not say it as meant? They generally cannot answer my questions. People "make fun" of themselves on a daily basis, calling each other crackers, white trash, etc. The racial profiling that goes on in today's society is disheartening. I could understand it 40 years ago, but not now. You'd think we'd grown out of the racism by now, at least in the current generation...
ReplyDeleteErin, my students have also been starting to call something "jewish". I hadn't heard it in high school at all and found it odd and obviously distasteful. I have also had conversations with students about the disrespect they display in general, not just in their language.
ReplyDeleteThese are the same students who say President Obama will likely be assassinated (insinuating it is because he is Black) and who have Confederate flags in their houses and on their vehicles. I find this display of racism repulsive (and correct them in their confusion of what the Confederate flag really stands for)!
Dusty, thanks for the comment. The "C" word is the one I deal with the most. We have a no tolerance policy on racial slurs. I had a long talk with one of my Hispanic students last year about the use of this word. Apparently, it did not sink in because a couple weeks later he made a comment that "white people suck". As a result, he was given 5 days of out-of-school suspension. I do not know if he still says things like that, but he knows not to say them around me anymore.
ReplyDeleteWOW! 5 days OSS?? Our school has a similar policy on fighting, but not at all on racial slurs. I'm not sure a student would get ANY days of OSS for a racial slur. In your opinion, do you agree with the amount of 5 days? If you had to make administrative decisions for a school, what punishment would you assign to racial slurs?
ReplyDeleteErin and Kristen - I am really curious about the calling things "Jewish". Could you please remind the group of the grade level you teach and the racial/religious breakdown of your schools? I'm especially curious as to what percentage of your schools are actually Jewish. This is not something I have dealt with at all.
ReplyDeleteI teach 10th-12th grade. Most of the school would consider themselves Protestant, if anything (at least that's what all of the churches are within 30 miles)...some would probably say they are Athiest or Agnostic. I do not know of any Jewish students in our school, practicing or by descendent. I think it is a phrase they either picked up on TV/in a movie or heard from a family member. They do not specifically intend to offend students in the school, but they are aware that it is racist and it does not bother them. Trying to create empathy where it hasn't been raised to be is a very difficult (but vital!) task in five hours per week!!!
ReplyDeleteI commend you for taking on the task! Thank you for the details - I have a small population of Jewish students and am glad to say I have not heard any students use that as a racial slur - at least not in ear shot!
ReplyDeleteKristen, I do agree with the 5 day punishment for racial slurs. I think it makes a point that we take such things very seriously and will not put up with that sort of behavior.
ReplyDeleteI have heard my 16 year old daughter and her friends use the "that's so Jewish" and "don't be a Jew" phrases. In middle school, they said "that's so gay." And, in elementary school, they said "that's so retarded" and "don't be a retard." Over the years, I have tried to make them understand how disrespectful and demeaning all of these comments are to the groups being referenced in the comments. To make it more personal to them, I explained that their comments are exactly the same as if someone were to call them the "n" word (my daughter is multi-racial and the friends I am referring to are black).
ReplyDeleteI personally do not agree with the 5 days OSS. OSS is like a vacation for kids. I don't believe that they take it seriously. I think at the very least in school suspension is a better choice, but I think the best choice would be a form of punishment that teaches them something about prejudice and racial inequity. Community service related to the group being commented about would be the best option and have the best possibility of making an impact on the offenders.
I am (happy) to say that I have never encountered racism in my personal life, although, I have, at times felt discriminated against due to my sex (female) - not exactly the same thing, but similar. I teach in a diverse school, majority is White, but mixed with Black, and a growing Hispanic population. In my opinion, most of the students are very tolerant of each other, especially when it comes to race. The races interact with one another, but are still essentially segregated by choice. Some students do bring racial stereotypes from home, but many are more open minded than their parents, and seem to recognize that their parents have outdated views of race relations. One thing that does bother me - allowing students to use their race as an excuse for bad behavior - "it's part of my culture" - using unacceptable slang, hollering in the hallway, etc. As far as I know, we don't really have a set disciplinary policy towards racial slurs. I don't know when it ever became socially acceptable for Black students to say the "N" word (to each other). I personally find it offensive!
ReplyDeleteI teach 11th grade English
ReplyDeleteWow, so many of us teach in predominantly white schools and are probably affected by racism in a different way. We have to deal with the misconceptions and prejudices our students have already formulated, primarily from their homes. We have to keep our ears open for any behavior or comments that would present a good teachable moment. It is pretty easy to come across these types of moments in my English classes, since we often read multi-cultural literature. I get pretty into multi-cultural discussions and I can quickly tell which students have a more narrow view of the world compared to others. I try to do my part to teach them about what they may not know and I hope they learn a little about what others go through.
ReplyDelete-Heather P.
I am in a complete role reversal situation than most of you. I teach at Crispus Attucks Medical Magnet High School, a school created out of racism (It was created as an all black high school by a KKK majority in the IPS school board). The school has a strong pride in its heritage. We have a multicultural museum in our school. (I'll touch on that point later). Our population consists of approximately 80% African-American, 12-15% Hispanic, and 5-8% Caucasian (I am the minority.) I see the student reaction to racism, but my experience is seeing the racism between minorities. Our "multicultural" museum is primarily about African-Americans in history, in Indianapolis, and in our school. Many times I see the Hispanic population feeling they are left out in the cold. I have learned a lot in the past fifteen years teaching in this school.
ReplyDeleteAs far as expectations go, I have never allowed my students to feel that I would expect less of them than I would of any others. I can't because we are an early college program. Many of their courses are or will be college courses.